Thursday, December 3, 2009

How to apply meringue to lemon meringue pie?

Hi,


I just made a lemon meringue pie using My-T-Fine pie filling. I beat the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar according to directions. However, my meringue didn't have those beautiful stiff peaks like I've seen my grandmother do and on professional pies. I think my grandmother used to dollop scoops of meringue all over the pie and then connect them and did something to get the curls. Does anyone have any tips about my application or mixing?How to apply meringue to lemon meringue pie?
Keep beating that mixture until stiff peaks form. Spread it all over the filling. Take an ordinary butter knife and dab it up and down all over the meringue to make peaks. Bake in the oven for 10 min. at 450 but watch it closely. It really should be put on a hot filling so get busy!How to apply meringue to lemon meringue pie?
You need to use a squeaky CLEAN and DRY mixing bowl and beaters to beat the egg whites. If they have a drop of oil or water on them, the egg whites won't beat well. Also, if it's raining or very humid there, the humidity plays havoc with meringue. The sugar won't incorporate well, will weep and be gritty. Then, just pile the meringue on the pie, and use a butter knife or pastry spatula to swirl it around the top.........
You need to beat the meringue mixture until it is stiff.





I just pour the mixture onto the top and use a spatula to smooth it out and add the peaks.
place a dry spatula on a portion of the meringue with slight pressure and pull up on the spatula. to make the curls, twist your wrist. that should do the trick. good luck!!!!!!!
If you don't have the stiff peaks then you either didn't beat the eggs enough, or you over beat them. You need the stiff peaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
albinism